The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) was created to help foster social and economic development, create wealth and improve infrastructure connectivity in Asia by investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors. As a new addition to the global multilateral development bank (MDB) family, AIIB works closely with other multilateral and bilateral institutions as well as the private sector to improve infrastructure by promoting regional cooperation and partnerships. AIIB has 103 members, including 21 prospective members, and has an authorized capital of USD100 billion, of which USD20 billion is paid in. AIIB is a triple A-rated institution.
The Counsel/Senior Counsel—Investment Operations will be based in Beijing and will be responsible for providing legal and policy advice in relation to AIIB's sovereign and private sector investment transactions with a view to protecting AIIB’s interests and ensuring compliance with AIIB’s mandate, policies and procedures. Sovereign sector financing includes sovereign and sovereign-guaranteed loans. Private sector transactions typically include secured and unsecured loans, equity investments, participation in private equity funds, guarantees and other risk-sharing products.
- Advise in carrying out AIIB’s policy mandate in the context of AIIB’s investments, e.g., with a view to ensuring compliance with AIIB’s environmental standards and other policy requirements.
- Advise in the structuring of transactions, select and manage external legal counsel, draft and negotiate transaction documents, handle signings and closings and assist with the legal aspects of project monitoring.
- Assist in the development of template of legal agreements of AIIB.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other multilateral development banks and development partners to further AIIB’s investment operations work.
- Minimum five years for counsel and eight years for senior counsel of relevant post qualification practice experience, at least part of which preferably spent at a top-tier international law firm.
- Relevant professional experience with sovereign loans and/or guarantees and English law-governed financing agreements in one or more of the following fields:
- Cross-border lending transactions involving taking of security.
- Cross-border private equity investments.
- Cross-border capital markets transactions.
- An understanding of the legal aspects of investment operations of multilateral banks and experience in sovereign-backed financings would be an advantage.
- Excellent command of English, including drafting and negotiating legal documents in English.
- Ability and resourcefulness to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Ability to communicate with and convince internal and external stakeholders at a high level with appropriate legal solutions (including the ability to negotiate complex legal documents with counterparties at a senior level [for Senior Counsel]).
- Experience in working collaboratively in a cross-cultural environment.
- A law degree from a leading university; candidates from civil law jurisdictions would ideally have a post-graduate law degree from a common law jurisdiction.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
- Practice Area: Banking & Finance
- Industry: Banking & Finance
- Keywords: private equity investments, sovereign investment transactions, restructuring, cross-border transactions, multilateral development bank, Project Finance, investment transactions