Our client, a leading logistics company, wishes to bring on board a commercially savvy mid-level Legal Counsel to lead and manage their legal services requirements in Malaysia. This is a ‘sole counsel role’ and the candidate is expected to be a self-motivated individual with a high level of initiative and communications skills, who can operate independently. They will be expected to liaise with country and group levels units and lead in the negotiations, drafting and closure of commercial transactions, advising on employment and other regulatory matters and inter-company arrangements. The candidate must enjoy working in a dynamic working environment with lots of young people and little formalities.
- Candidate’s primary role is to be the general legal advisor to business units in Malaysia. The primary workload of the candidate includes: (1) commercial contracts; (2) procurement contracts; (3) regulatory and compliance matters, including issues on employment and COVID-19 measures; (4) dispute resolution; (5) corporate documentations; and (6) legal department administration.
- Candidate functionally reports to General Counsel, based in Singapore, but reports to Malaysia Country Head and is expected to work with country and group units.
- Recognised law degree in Malaysia or another common law jurisdiction.
- Qualification in the Malaysian Bar or another common law jurisdiction is mandatory.
- 5 to 7 years’ experience in a legal department or reputable law firm, or a combination of both is required.
- At least 3 years of experience handling commercial contracts, including inter-company agreements.
- Legal work experience in a sales-driven organisation, logistics or e-commerce would make the candidate stand-out.
- Strong ability to communicate in writing and verbally in English and Bahasa Malaysia.
Desired Competency and Skills:
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, procurement contracts, leases and tender documents.
- Track record of effective communication with and management of internal stakeholders, including senior management.
- Leadership in designing and implementing processes and policies relating to mitigating operational risks and compliance risks, and the preparation and closure of commercial transactions.
- Delivering internal legal-related training.
- Legal research and advice on commercial legal and regulatory matters, including logistics regulations, logistics licensing and commercial legal issues.
- Advise on and manage commercial disputes and litigation matters.
- Advise on and manage licensing matters.
- Advise on compliance matters and investigations by regulators.
- Able to carry out legal and compliance function in Malaysia in a manner consistent with Malaysia laws and regulations, and with the company's business goals, vision and strategy.
If you think you meet the above requirements and would like to apply please send:
- your CV;
- transcripts; and
- a short cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for us to determine your suitability for this role.
If you’d like to arrange a confidential discussion prior to applying please call our Singapore office on +65 6808 6635 or Hong Kong office on +852 3978 1369 or London office on +44 20 3745 2513.
Please share this opportunity with any colleagues that you think would be interested.
Singapore EA Licence No. 12S6213
- Practice Area: Commercial, Compliance/Regulatory, Dispute Resolution, Employment
- Industry: Legal
- Keywords: commercial, Compliance & Risk, dispute resolution, employment, e-commerce